Tuesday, September 21, 2010

the perfect disguise

I am working on my cover.

An important part of being a good spy is to be able to be where you need to be, without people knowing why you are there.

My cover on opening night was totally blown, hence my reluctance to report.

That said, I couldn’t help but notice that all attendees appeared to have been under dressed for the crisp fall weather.

This tells me one thing: everyone was a Winnipegger.

Whether through birth, travels, or heart, all thin air guests on opening night had Winnipeg living somewhere inside them. Otherwise they would have been bundled in proper fall attire, hats and scarves and such. Or, more likely, they would have been at home, not realizing that they were missing out on the magic that happens every year at Odeeena on opening night of the festival. They’d probably be watching Brothers and Sisters instead.

Spy lesson: Do not sit with other bloggers and be introduced to the entire crowd as the blogging crew. No one will ever tell you their honest reasons for attending the writers festival once they know your identity. No matter what colour you dye your hair.

Solution: find the perfect disguise, in the next 6 hours, for attending an evening of men discussing what they want.

over and out.

* * *
Courtney Slobogian was born in Winnipeg and likes it that way.

She is a writer/understated activist/ irreverent feminist. Some of her work can be tracked down in quiet corners of the internet.

She co-hosts a radio show on CKUW called Tiger Lilies are Poisonous, dislikes cotton socks and is currently working on developing her spy skills.

1 comment:

  1. C ~ I hope it will involve a mustache, and possibly a fedora. I'm intrigued.

    (I'm contemplating suspenders, you know to keep my pants up.)

    Wonder what they will talk about... Ken Finkleman, whose name rolls off the tongue, et al... and what they want...

    I wonder if it will get rowdy. I wonder if there will be audience participation...

    ~S

    ReplyDelete